My name is Nina Nichols Peery. I was born in Mesquite, Texas but spent my public education years in Tyler where my mother still resides. I graduated from Baylor University with a BBA in accounting in May 1980. After graduation, I was employed as a cost accountant at Texas Instruments in Dallas where I lived next door to my future husband, Mike. Shortly after marriage, we chose to leave the “big city” and move back home where Mike worked as an electrical engineer at Steelman Industries in Kilgore, and I worked as a CPA for McReynolds, Beason, & Co. in Longview. I opened a CPA office in my home to be home with my young children. When my children began public school, I enjoyed volunteering and working with the staff so much, I decided to go back to school and get my teaching certificate. After finishing coursework at UTTyler and student teaching at Spring Hill High School, I began working as the computer lab and keyboarding instructor at White Oak Middle School. During my first year of teaching and at the age of 42,our third child was born. I did not return to teaching until Joseph started kindergarten. At that time, I walked in to the perfect job – teaching computer skills to Intermediate students and gross motor skills to Primary students. (Visit the Ready Bodies blog)
I recently became a first-time grandmother. My daughter and her husband blessed me with a wonderful baby boy named Elijah Michael on October 5, 2011. My son and his wife will give me my second grandson at the end of December. I LOVE BEING A NEENEE!
Interesting facts about the Peerys:
- Mike graduated valedictorian from White Oak in 1976, and his daughter Amber graduated valedictorian from White Oak 30 years later in 2006!
- Mike currently works as a professional photographer out of our home, just like his father before him and his great-great grandfather. (check out his work at https://www.facebook.com/whiteoakroughnecks)
- Mike’s father, Bob Peery, was the Industrial Arts teacher at White Oak High School beginning in 1949 and later served as high school counselor until his retirement in 1977.
- Mike’s mother, Mildred Peery, taught 3rd grade for 24 years at White Oak and retired in 1986.
- We have three wonderful children – Jim graduated from White Oak as a Globe Scholar in 2004, Amber graduated from White Oak in 2006, and Joseph will graduate (God willing) from White Oak in 2018.
- Working in my yard
- Bible Study
- Bird – hummingbird
- Bug – ladybug
- Flower – lily of the Nile
- Music – praise and worship
- Candybar – Butterfinger
- Soft drink – Sonic Raspberry Tea
- Cookie – Oatmeal Raisin
- Restaurant – Applebees
- Bible Study Teacher – Beth Moore and Jon Courson
- Candy – cherry sours
- Vacation – being at the beach
- Color – blue
- Number – 8
- Books – The Bible, Heaven by Randy Alcorn, anything by Max Lucado